I was browsing the web looking for other bloggers in my area and I found this post about mommy maintenance and it inspired me to write my own post about taking care yourself as a mother.
Mother’s Day is less than a week away. It’s supposed to be the day to be doted upon and appreciated, but it only comes once a year. Motherhood is a tough job and it’s easy to put yourself last even at your own expense. We need more than one day to take care of ourselves so here are 5 things that you might be able to do to take care of you whether it’s Mother’s Day or not.
- Take space back – What I mean by taking space back is claiming something that used to be yours that isn’t anymore. Maybe you’ve become accommodating with a space in your house. You’ve let clutter build or let someone else take it over even though they have other spaces in your home. I say take it back.
I have a small room at the back of my house that I used to exercise in, but stopped because I let it get overtaken by clutter. I want to start exercising again so the first step for me is making a space to do it. I still have to fight procrastination, but this is a beginning. You can’t get anywhere without taking a first step.
- Have a drink that’s just for you. – Don’t think this is only about alcohol. I love a good cocktail, but it doesn’t have to be that. Maybe you’ve seen something on the web or on Pinterest that you want to try and haven’t done so because no one else would like it but you. Now is the time to give it a shot. And if you do want it be alcoholic, go for it. Just don’t worry about sharing because it’s for you.
- Create a “Mine” Pinterest board – Pinterest is a great place to curate all the things that you like. There are all kinds of recipe boards and ideas for things that have to do with the home, but I want you to ignore that(at least at first) and think about the things you like. Think about things you used to like but don’t think you have time for anymore. Make a board about it. Remember the things that interested you before you had other people think about.
- Use those beauty products – This is still Bury Me In Red Lipstick so I have talk about beauty products. It’s only right. 😉 Seriously, I know you have unused beauty products somewhere. Whether it’s something you bought for yourself and haven’t got around to using or some Secret Santa gift, you’ve got something. Take a moment to make sure it’s not expired and have that bubble bath. Slather on that moisturizer. Test out that lipstick. Someone might ask you what you’re doing in the bathroom but who cares. This is your time for yourself and it’s okay.
- Give yourself permission to do these things – We’re told over and over again that motherhood is about taking care of others. Who we are and what we do is in relation to our children. I don’t dispute this, but taking this stance might cause a mother to lose herself. Motherhood is important and so are you.
There’s nothing selfish about taking time to do something you like. Causing a minor inconvenience to your spouse or your child(ren) is nothing to lose sleep over. You’re going to give everything to everyone else, but at some point you have to refill the tank so you have something give. You can only run on empty for so long before something breaks down.
In the end, these are just suggestions. You don’t have to do all of them or any of them. The main point of this post is just to say take care of you. And while this was directed toward mothers, anyone who’s taking care of someone else could benefit from taking care of themselves.
I hope you all have a happy and safe Mother’s Day. If you do decide to take some time for yourself let me know in the comments.